Modern Couches & Sofas For Relaxed Lounging
Create your dream living room with modern sofas and contemporary couches that are stylish and comfortable. From sumptuous velvet sofas to modern leather couches that feature quality upholstery, comfortable cushions and sturdy construction, we have a carefully curated collections when it comes to modern living room seating.
What is a Sofa?
A sofa is a piece of furniture that typically seats two to five people. Sofas are one of the most important pieces of furniture in your home. Usually upholstered in fabric or leather and typically modern sofas are built upon a solid wood or metal frame. Both stylish and functional, our contemporary sofas come in a wide variety of modern profiles, elegant hues and quality fabrics.
Types of Sofas
Before you decide on the best sofa for you, consider the different types of sofas for the sitting needs of your room.
- Sectional Sofas: A sectional sofa is a sofa that is composed of multiple modular units that typically form an L-shape or U-shape. Sectionals are a great option for larges rooms where you need of ample seating or a large sofa to spread out and relax.
- Loveseats: A loveseat is a small sofa that generally seats two. Featuring slimmer armrests and backrests than the typical couch, loveseats are usually found in living rooms, bedrooms, or offices. Perfect for pairing with your main sofa to add extra seating and room balance. If you are looking for a cozy spot to cuddle up with your loved one or an intimate seating option for your home office, a loveseat is a great choice.
- Sofas In a Box: A sofa in a box is a type of sofa designed for small spaces thanks to their modular construction. Sofas in a box tend to have simple designs, which can help to make a small space feel more open and airy. While they require assembly, they are often more suitable than other types of sofas where you have restrictive access. Great for flats and apartments, but also suitable for any space.
- Sofa Beds: A sofa bed is a type of sofa that can be easily converted into a bed. They are typically built with a metal frame and a mattress that ranges in sizes from a single to a king size. If you have guests stay over, especially if you do not have a lot of space, a sofa bed is a great option to provide extra occasional sleeping space.
- Daybeds: A daybed, sometimes known as clik claks, is a piece of furniture that can be used for both seating and sleeping. They are typically about the size of a single bed. Easily transform your cozy lounge seating to a sleep space for guests with a daybed.
- Settees: A settee is a classic type of sofa that typically has two armrests and a backrest. The generally feature a slightly shorter profile than a standard sofa, making it ideal for smaller spaces. Settees are often upholstered in luxurious fabrics, such as velvet or suede, and can feature traditional buttoning. Perfect as an accent piece in a room or as extra seating for guests. While settees were once only found in formal living rooms or parlours, they are available in a wide range of styles and can be used in any room of the house.
Popular Modern Sofas & Couch Styles
Once you decide on the best size of sofa for your home, consider the profile. Escapology offers a range of sophisticated profiles that will set ground the styling of your room.
- Armless Sofas: An armless sofa is the perfect sofa profile if you prefer clean lines and a sleek silhouette. They are often great for maintaining clear lines of sight.
- Curved Sofas: a curved sofa can be a stylish piece of modern furniture that can add a touch of sophistication. The distinctive profile of a curved back and side is both eye-catching and inviting, making a popular choice for living rooms and kitchens.
- Chesterfield Sofas: A chesterfield sofa is characterised by the unique buttoned upholstery and rolled arms. The chesterfield style of sofa was first created in the early 1800s in England, popular among the British aristocracy. Today, chesterfield sofas are still associated with luxury and sophistication; often found in luxury homes and office spaces.
- Track Arm Sofas: A track arm sofa is a type of couch that has clean lines and square or rectangular arms that track straight back from the front of the sofa. This style of sofa arm is often seen in North American modern and contemporary furniture designs.
How to Style Your Modern Sofa
Your sofa is the perfect piece of modern furniture to anchor your room. To build the look of your modern living room, pair your modern couch with a pair of statement accent chairs and stylish side tables. Elevate your space by layering in a textured rugs, cosy cushions and luxurious throws. Finish your look with a modern coffee table or a footstool.
Common Questions about Modern Couches and Sofas
What is the difference between a sofa and a couch?
In general, a couch is considered to be more informal than a sofa and often has a larger profile and deeper seat; however, the terms are often used interchangeably.
How long does a sofa last?
The average lifespan of a sofa is seven to 15 years, but the higher quality the sofa, the longer it will last. No matter which type of contemporary sofa you choose, it is important to find one that is well-made, comfortable and provides plenty of seating for all of your guests.
Want your new couch now? Browse off-the-shelf couches and sofas for ready-to-ship options so you can start relaxing in comfort in no time.