Modern Beds, Bed Frames & Headboards For Your Bedroom
Create your perfect space with modern bedroom furniture for a calming environment to retreat to at the end of a long day by making your bed the centre-point. The focal point of any bedroom, modern beds set the tone for the rest of your bedroom. From modern bedframes that promote an open layout to statement canopy beds that bring your eye up, we have modern bed and headboard options to suit all tastes and styles.
How to Choose the Best Modern Bed
When it comes to choosing the best bed for your room, there are a few key factors to consider. Before making your choice think through bed type, bed size, style and material so you can make the best selection.
Choose the Correct Bed Size
The first thing to decide when choosing a bed is the proper size. Consider the size of your room, whether you sleep with a partner and if you prefer to sprawl out when deciding which bed size is right for you.
- Double Beds: The most popular bed size on the market, a double bed is great for couples or individuals who want a little more space. And they fit well in medium-sized and larger bedrooms of modern homes.
- King and Super-King Beds: Great for couples and those who love to stretch out, king-size modern beds are perfect for your primary bedroom. For taller individuals, opt for a super-king which has a more generous size. If you love the luxury hotel feel of luxurious comfort, king beds or super-king beds are the way to go.
- Single Beds & Zip-Lock Beds: Modern single size beds are perfect for small spaces, kids' rooms and holiday homes. For flexibility, zip-lock beds are the perfect solution when you're short on space but don't want to sacrifice style for practicality. They easily transition from a double for the adults to two single beds for the visiting kids.Their versatility and look suits a variety of uses.
Decide What Type of Bed Frame You Prefer
A bed frame, also called a bedstead, is the foundation that holds your mattress in place. Typically a bed frame consists of a headboard, footboard, legs and side rails but modern bed frame options may exclude a foot or headboard to create a floating look. Available in a variety of heights and materials, bed frames determine the style of the bedroom. Alternatively, modern headboards typically come with a bed frame or can be purchased separately and attached to the foundation or sometimes the wall. Wall hung headboards are the modern alternative that avoid the wobbly headboard effect.
Popular Bed Frame Profiles
- Canopy Beds: Elegant and chic, canopy bed frames have a dramatic shape that adds an air of sophistication to any bedroom. Four-poster beds because command attention and act as the focal point of the room without trying.
- Platform Beds: Platform beds tend to have a minimalist look and sit low to the ground. They are a popular modern bed frame option.
- Sleigh Beds: Made popular in the early 19th century, sleigh beds are known for their curved headboards and footboard. Modern sleigh bed options can have contemporary designs and have moved beyond the traditional feel.
- Storage Beds: Eliminate visual clutter with a practical modern storage bed that has shelving built into the base.
Bed Frame Materials
- Wood Beds: Timeless and easy to maintain, wooden bed frames are a classic option. Choose from a variety of finishes like teak, acacia and oak.
- Metal frame beds: Providing a sleek and modern aesthetic, metal beds are stylish and sturdy. Choose from strong iron bed frames, stainless steel, or nickel options.
- Upholstered Beds: From luxurious velvet beds to edgy leather headboards, the softness of an upholstered bed makes your room feel all the more relaxing.
Styling your Modern Bed
Regardless of what style bed you choose, it is important to create a cohesive space using bedroom furniture and decor that ties the room together. Frame your modern bed with a pair of bedside tables and complementary modern table lamps. Or, opt for matching wall sconces instead. Layer your bed over a modern floor rug or a vintage option and hang curtains that filter the light, add privacy, and make the room look finished. Finally, make the bed with plush linen sheets, a cozy bedspread and decorative cushions to tie the entire space together.
FAQs About Modern Beds
When should I buy a new bed?
Your mattress should be replaced every seven years, especially if it has become less comfortable to sleep in. You should generally replace your bed frame every ten years because even general wear and tear can make bed frames weaker over time.
How do I choose a bed?
First, decide on size. Take into account the size of your room, whether you sleep with a partner, pets, or if you just like sprawling out to sleep. Next, consider durability. Mattresses and bed frames work in tandem to support you, so make sure that the bed frame acts as a strong foundation for your mattress. Finally, use colour, profile and material to narrow down what style you like.
How many types of beds are there?
There are over 50 different types of beds ranging in size, shape and style. Some of the more common types of modern beds are platform beds, upholstered beds, canopy beds and storage beds.